Leaky plastic valve covers on Chevrolet 60° V6 engines
- The problem: a leaky left (front) valve cover. This was a common problem on early 90s Chevrolet V6s that were manufactured with plastic valve covers.
- The solution: TSB 47-61-35—"Oil leak at the rocker cover"
- The part: a brand new cover from GM SPO (part 24504669 or 89017415, list price $53.26).
- Top view.
- Underside view.
- First step: Remove the engine torque strut, also called the "dogbone."
- Second step: Remove the plastic valve cover.
- Third step: Clean the gasket mating surface of the cylinder head.
- Fourth step: Apply some RTV sealant to the point where the head, intake manifold, and valve cover meet..
- Install the new valve cover; torque each bolt to 10 N·m.
- Reinstall the torque strut.
- The job is done.
- The right (rear) valve cover does not leak in this car, so it will not yet be replaced. Its part number is 24504670.
Back to Stuart Schmitt's car information.